Chicken Burgers are a popular choice, often made with chicken schnitzels or deep fried crumbled chicken strips. This Crispy Chicken Burger is made with Buttermilk Fried Chicken. Tender chicken strips with a hint of middle eastern spices.
Makes: 4 | Preparation: 15 min| Resting: 30 min| Frying & serving: 15 min
Who connected us?! Once a week our kids are in charge of dinner. Sometimes this means there will be a simple fried rice or easy pasta dish, and sometimes they choose to try something new from the many cookbooks that are on the shelve. This time was one of those lucky days that they tried something new, and sure they did not disappoint.
I decided to make the crispy chicken burgers because, I thought why not change it up from your regular soft chicken or beef. Making the crispy chicken the main part of the meal really helped bring out the flavour. I used lots of spices to make it have a tangy taste. It is also way more enjoyable to make because it requires a lot more hands on work. Overall, the crispy chicken burgers are a real family pleaser because they are different from your regular plain old burgers.
By Thymo vG
Timing: Start your preparation about 2 hours before you have dinner to allow the chicken to marinate well.
- 500g chicken fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- ½ tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper top taste
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 4 bread rolls
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- 1 small cucumber
- some lettuce leafs
- 1 red capsicum
Preparing and frying the crispy chicken
1. As always we start with getting all ingredients ready, chopped, sliced and crushed and weighed.
2. Slice the chicken into strips. Place the paprika powder, crushed fennel seeds and buttermilk in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the chicken strips and mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 30 – 60 minutes to marinate.
3. Fill a large saucepan, wok or deep fryer with the oil and place over medium heat until the temperature reaches 180c.
4. While the oil is heating, place the flour, baking powder, salt & pepper in a bowl and combine.
5. Remove the chicken from the marinate and let the excess mixture drip off. Add to the flour mixture and toss to combine evenly.
6. Once the oil reaches 180c you can start deep frying the chicken. Add small batches to the oil and fry for about 5 minutes until crispy golden. Drain the chicken on a paper towel to release the excess oil. Keep the chicken warm in an oven at 120c until ready to serve.
Preparing and plating the Crispy Chicken Burgers
1. Finely slice the red onion, thinly slice the cucumber, tomato and the red capsicum. Prepare the salad.
2. Divide the green bits onto the buns, top with Crispy Chicken and aioli. Finish with tabasco to your liking.
- Pickles: you can replace the fresh cucumber with pickled cucumber. Or use a combination of different pickled veggies like carrots, onion and tomatoes.
- Green tomatoes, instead of ripe tomatoes go really well in this recipe.
Make your own bread rolls or pita bread with these simple recipes: Bread Rolls or Pita Bread