These chocolate brownies are easy to make and are a great treat in the kids lunchboxes. I especially like to moist gooey inside of this recipe. Make sure you use a good quality chocolate and some chopped nuts, like walnut, macadamia or hazelnuts are a big bonus.
This recipe and pictures were made by my 14 year old son. Easy!!
Makes: 12 pieces / 9 inch square pan| Prep: 10 min | Baking: 25 minutes
Who connected us?! My wife Arlette went to the US as an exchange student and she made notes of her favourite recipes that she had from the family she stayed with. These chocolate brownies were definitely one of her best-loved..
Ingredients for chocolate brownies
- 2tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2tbsp water
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate
- another 1 cup of semi sweet or dark chocolate
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup plain flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped nuts, macadamias, walnuts or hazelnuts
- 9″ square baking pan, or similar baking pan that holds about 8 cups / 1.9 litres
- Pre-heat the oven to 160c / 325f
- In a bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a medium size saucepan, cook sugar, butter and water over low heat. Stir constantly until the mixture starts to boil. Remove from the heat immediately.
- While the mixture is still hot, mix in the first cup of semi sweet chocolate and stir until melted.
- The mixture will now have cooled down a bit but is still warm. Stir in the eggs and vanilla until blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture, the remaining cup of chocolate and the chopped nuts
- Grease the baking pan and poor in the batter.
- Bake in 25 to 30 minutes.
- When finished, let it cool and cut into bars.
- Baking paper: The brownie can be quite sticky. A good option is to line the pan with baking paper to make your job easier.
- Nuts or no Nuts: with so many nut allergies around, you might prefer to go for the safe option and leave the nuts out. No problem! this recipe work equally well without the nuts.