You can’t go wrong with a nice Asian inspired salad. Great on hot summer days, for lunch or as an addition to an Asian meal or any roasted meat or fish . This salad is based on Chinese Cabbage, but you can add any vegetable you think that suits. Handy to use of some left over veggies.
Who connected us?! This recipe is inspired by Bill Grangers “Every Day Asian”. It’s far from an authentic Asian recipe, but it’s certainly flirting with the Indonesian style Gado Gado.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 Red Onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 500g Wombok (Chinese cabbage) Thinly sliced or a bit more coarse to your preference
- 1/2 Red Capsicum, sliced
- Handful of mint leaves
- 3 hard boiled eggs, cut into wedges
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
Mix the Onion, wombok, capsicum and mint leaves in a serving bowl, mix and top with the boiled egg wedges.
In a seperate bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients, poor over the salad and toss to combine.
Add some unsalted crushed peanuts or fried shallots for some extra texture.
Spice it up; Spice up the dressing with some fresh sliced chilli or dried chilli flakes
Veggies galore; There are many other vegetables you can add. Try green beans, different salads, carrot, spring onion, cauliflower, cucumber, tomato, shallots or red cabbage.