Freshly homemade Basil Pesto is way better than any store bought pesto, way more flavoursome and without the preservatives! Fresh Basil Pesto is an easy marinade for grilled or roast meats and most favourably an easy way of livening up a pasta or gnocchi dish.
Pesto is a sauce originating in Genoa, which is located in the northern region of Italy. It originated around the 16th century and traditionally consists of crushed garlic, basil and pine nuts blended with Parmesan cheese and olive oil.
Who connected us?! In our herb patch one of the best growing herbs is the sweet basil. After a few warm summer days the basil sometimes grows so fast that we have to find ways of using it and when making basil pesto, we use a lot.
Pesto is incredibly easy to make and I guarantee you that when you try once, you will never go back to store bought Pesto. Pesto is one of those sauces that you can easilkly adapt to your own taste.
- Bunch of basil (2 cups of basil leaves)
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a pan and let cool down.
- Was the basil and take the leaves off the stems.
- Add the pine nuts to the bowl of your food processor along with the basil, garlic and parmesan cheese; pulse until coarsely chopped (scrape down the sides of the food processor if needed). Do not blend too long, but leave it grain size at this stage.
With the processor running, gradually add the olive oil in a thin stream until the pesto comes together and is well combined. (Scrape down the sides of the food processor again, if needed). Depending on how thick you like the pesto to be you can add mire or less olive oil. Usually when I make the pesto for a Pasta Pesto Dish I make the sauce thinner than when I make the pesto to be used as a meat marinade or for on a sandwich (yum with cheese).
- Olive Oil is last; Don’t be tempted to add the olive oil in the beginning. The pesto will turn bitter if you do.
- Save: Put the pesto in a jar in the fridge and it will last a few days.